Living in Narnia

Monday, July 14, 2003

Firstly, I believe that anyone seeking to build a relationship with God MUST depend on His Word. There is no other way. The Bible is the God-given, God-breathed Word, the greatest evidence of God's presence of our lives. So often people say that they lack God's guidance when they fail to realise that in the Bible we have the greatest storehouse of wisdom and guidance on Earth. Truly, without the Bible, we would have no revelation of God, no idea of who He is, no possible way of knowing Him. Without it our faith would crumble to pieces.

I cannot even begin to describe how amazing the Bible has been in my life. It has guided me through every situation, and I mean every situation. There has not been a single circumstance in my life that the Bible has not been able to speak to. It has comforted me in my trials, strengthened me in my weakness, guided me in my ignorance, rebuked me in my sin, humbled me in my pride, and above all, brought me the glorious revelation of God's love. It is truly amazing to be able to open the Bible each day, each night, and to find it speaking wisdom beyond all wisdom that I so desperately need for my life, with stunning incisiveness and precision. Coincidence? If it happens once or twice, maybe, but if it happens every day, certainly not. Need we be surprised that the Bible says of itself,

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Tim 3:16

We must be hungry for His Word, as the deer pants after the water. We must set aside time each day to read His Word, whether with devotional material, or without. And even that is not enough; we should take every opportunity to read the Word, anytime of the day. I made it a point to bring my Bible to all my army field camps, and by God's grace was able to find time each time to read it, and to share it with other Christians too. Even in those weary times, God's Word still spoke like a light in the darkness. Having experienced the greatness of God's Word in the past few months like never before, now I bring my Bible everywhere I go, because truly, the Word of God can be read anywhere, anytime.

A girl who came to our church for the first time two weeks ago accepted Christ three days ago, praise the Lord. Two days after accepting Christ, on Sunday, she bought herself a Bible in church, and that night she was already fervently reading the Word despite having no prior contact with it. She has even started messaging me verses and clarifying doubts about the Word. She looks forward to weekly Bible study in church because she may not be able to attend Sunday services regularly. That, praise the Lord, is true passion, the sign of a burning first love for Christ. Have we who have known Christ for long grown lukewarm in our pursuit of Him? If yes, then let us renew our passion for His Word.

"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious."
1 Peter 2:2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home