Living in Narnia

Sunday, April 06, 2003

"I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do" John 17:4

So often we are tempted to think of Christianity in terms of what it can do for us. We pray earnestly that God will bless us with peace, joy and comfort. We pray that He will help us in our daily affairs, endeavours and struggles. And I believe that we are right to do so, because God promises to bless us and give us good gifts. "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matthew 7:11

But I have learnt that we must be careful not to miss the point. I believe it is dangerous to build our lives around what we receive from God, because when we face trials, or severe disappointment, we may begin to question or doubt or distrust God. Jesus Himself, the Son of God, who is now enthroned in glory above all things, made it clear that the work that was given him was to glorify God. He did not say "I have blessed the multitudes" or "I have brought salvation to earth." "I have glorified thee on the earth." All Jesus did in his amazing ministry- preaching, healing, casting out demons, rebuking the unrighteous- was done for the glory of God. And I believe so should our lives be. That whatever God chooses to give us in our lives, we use it to glorify Him. His glory is more important than anything else. Our utmost for His highest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home