Living in Narnia

Sunday, November 30, 2003

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Phew. Another chapter in my life is over, and looking back over the past year, it has definitely been the hardest chapter of my life. Never before have I faced so much pain, so much internal struggle, so much doubt and uncertainty, so much anger and bitterness. But also, never before have I seen so much breakthrough, so much joy, so much victory, so much strength, not on my account, but from Him who gives all things. Thank You Lord.

It is in our nature to doubt the Lord; to walk by faith and not by sight is one of the hardest things to do. We have heard many times that God only has the best in store, yet we struggle day in day out to trust Him and obey Him, choosing instead to go our own way. We lack the faith, and deep inside our hearts we do not really believe that God only has the best in store, and hence are easily influenced and led astray what our eyes see. So it was with me. But after a year of seemingly endless struggle and disobedience, I have come to see that God really has the best in store. God is not some heartless slavedriver who whips His slaves into shape and denies them every need and desire. God is a loving caring Master who knows our deepest needs and desires and will fulfill them, but wants us to learn first that He must take first place in our lives. For that is where He truly belongs. He intends for us to be a joyful people, living and serving Him willingly and contentedly. God took away the things in my life that meant the most to me, so that I would learn to seek Him and delight in Him first. Clinging on to those things, I learnt painfully, is totally useless and self-devastating; release them to Him, and you will find, I assure you, that He has much much more in store. "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." Psa 37:4. I used to doubt if it was true, but now I see more clearly than ever that it is.

I know that this is a time where many people are entering into a new chapter of their lives. As usual there is the uncertainty and fear of what lies ahead that haunts the heart. But go with the assurance that God is with you and will always be, and that He truly has the best in store. Go with expectant hearts to see it for yourself, if you have not already seen it. Go with patient hearts to wait upon Him, listen to Him, obey Him and await the unfolding of His will in your lives. Go with the assurance of our Lord Jesus Himself, "In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33.

"let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" Hebrews 12:1-2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home