Living in Narnia

Wednesday, December 03, 2003

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." Matt. 6:33

I realise that I am still very stingy and reluctant about giving money to God and to His work, although God has constantly blessed me with much. I find myself constantly counting how much I have given and wondering if I am giving too much. That's the thing about money; you would think that the more you have of it, the more you would be able and willing to give to God, but no, that is not so with us humans. The more we get, the more stingy and protective we get about it, the more we hold back, the more we are unwilling to give, because we start getting enchanted and seduced by the thought of having money. No wonder Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kindgom of God." Mark 10:25

But looking back I thank God for teaching me this important lesson. There is no such thing as giving too much- if God calls you and places it upon your heart to give, than give generously and cheerfully. "God loves a cheerful giver" 2 Cor. 9:7. This is not thoughtless giving, but giving as God leads us to give, trusting that all our needs are in His hands. Cease the worrying and surrender it all to Him, because we can trust that God will provide all the money we will ever need. "...and all these things shall be added unto you." And from young we should aim to develop this kind of faith and trust, for money is a snare that traps many people in this world. We must be free of that; we would be far more ready and able to do God's work if the burden of money is not upon our backs. We have no qualms about spending money on ourselves; why do we hold back from giving generously to others, and to His work? We should realise that God gives us money not so that we can hoard it for ourselves, spend it all on ourselves and feel good and secure about it, but to supply our needs and so that we can also help to supply others who are in need, and invest in His kingdom.

God has shown me constantly that He will always supply my monetary needs if I am willing to invest in His work and kingdom. But to taste that, we have to be willing to give it up in the first place.

At the same time I believe that money is not the only area in which this principle applies. In every area of our life, God calls us to surrender the reins to Him and let Him take full control, and He promises to never leave us short or empty. Money may not be the thing that you are struggling with; it may be work, relationships, etc. etc. But in the same way, seek God first, and He will add all things that you need. I think the problem with us is not that God is not supplying. I think the problem is that we are not surrendering, and seeking Him and His kingdom first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home