Living in Narnia

Friday, September 08, 2006

My VCF cell group is currently doing a series of studies on the book of John, focusing on encounters between Jesus and various people. The Jews and Pharisees, John the Baptist, the Samaritan woman, the adulteress, His disciples, Pontius Pilate, just to name a few. What struck me was that no one who ever met and encountered Jesus personally was ever the same again. He left a deep and lasting impact on all whom he met, regardless of social class and standing. Not surprising, since He is God after all.

Which provoked me to think- what would be my response if I met Jesus today? What would I say to Him? Would it be...


"Lord, how come I'm struggling so hard to pass my exams and finish my work?"

"Lord, why do I have so much stress in my life? I can't take it!"

"Lord, how come I can't get that thing that I've been longing after for so long?"

"Lord, how come I can't get well from this sickness that I've been having?

"Lord, how come I can't be the best among all my peers in school?"

"Lord, how come bad things keep happening to me in my life while other people seem to be so happy?"

"Lord, how come I can't get all the money that I want?"

"Lord, how come I'm not respected and praised by all the people around me?"

"Lord, how come my friends/bosses are so mean and nasty to me?"


Sound familiar? These are the common things that we pray about anyway. And the common word in all these questions is? I/ME. So often we make the mistake of thinking it's all about US. I am so guilty of this. "Lord, please help me do this and this... Lord, please give me this and this..." Not that this is wrong, for the Bible commands us to bring our requests to Him (Phil 4:6-7). But surely, we are missing out on so much more!

All we have to do is look to the Lord's Prayer, which Jesus Himself taught us to pray, to realise our folly:

Our Father in Heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
Amen.

All the things we pray about can mostly be summarised into one line of the Lord's Prayer- "Give us this day our daily bread." That's 7 other lines that we're forgetting! It is no wonder if our spiritual life often runs dry. We are missing out on so much of the fullness of prayer and communion with the Father because of our spiritual myopia.

Do we see Jesus as merely the Provider of material things, strength, successes? Well He is, but He is so much more. Just here what Isaiah alone has to say,

"For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government shall be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called Wonderful, Counsellor,
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever." Isaiah 9:6-7

Jesus is so, so much more. Just ask those who met Him- the Samaritan woman, the adulteress, the disciples, especially Simon Peter. Their lives were changed forever. To them He was Lord, He was King, He was Saviour. They were willing to lay down all they had to follow Him, even to the point of death. No one can put it better than Paul, "Yet indeed I count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ..." Phil 3:8

So think, what would you say to Jesus if you met Him today? I pray that my response will be the same as the host of heaven before the Throne as they cry,

"Blessing and honor and glory and power,
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!" Rev 5:13

2 Comments:

  • Hey, I just found your blog. My "blog" looks much the same as yours does, and I actually intend to use it in the same way yours has. Most of the stuff you stuble onto on the internet is lacking content and seeking for viewers, but this is the complete opposite. I doubt you have even told anyone about this blog, you get my support

    By Blogger Schimpfinator, at 2:48 PM  

  • to bmanthesequel: Glad you're using your talents for God :o) May God use your blog to touch many.. can share your blog address? :o)

    By Blogger Winston, at 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home