Living in Narnia

Monday, July 14, 2003

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." 1 Cor. 6:12

There are many things and pursuits in life that are in themselves neither sinful nor harmful at all. And yet they will not benefit us in our pursuit of Christ, they will not edify us and strengthen us in our walk. They may even distract us and occupy our time, and minds, such that we can no longer focus them on Him. Anything, anything at all, can become an idol. There is nothing wrong with a golden calf; but it is a grave mistake to worship the golden calf in place of God.

If there are such distractions in our lives, we must put them as second place to Him. They must be removed if necessary. Seeking God must always be the top priority, above all others. We must come to realise that no life is too extreme, in the light of the love of God. There is absolutely no limit to the amount we can sacrifice and give to pursuing Him. Jesus never put a cap on how much devotion the disciples could give; on the contrary, he warned them to first "count the cost", implying that it was a great cost indeed. His standards were extreme, no less- "No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." Luke 9:62. "Take up your cross and follow me", He said.

I think we will find no greater example of devotion to Christ than the apostle Paul. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal. 2:20

"Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ." Phillippians 3:8

Paul was willing to give up everything, truly everything, because He understood the depth of God's love; I believe, so should we.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home