Living in Narnia

Tuesday, July 15, 2003

I want to share one experience I've had with witnessing, one that I will surely not forget for the rest of my life. Sometime ago we were having this public speaking lesson in OCS, and at the end of it each platoon had to nominate one person to go out and speak about anything. It was a competition of sorts. Poor me got arrowed, or sabo-ed, so to speak.

I was thinking hard of something to speak about, but suddenly it struck me that I should speak about God. After all, it was the perfect opportunity! And it would probably never ever come again (it didn't). So, with teeth kind of chattering in nervousness, I thought about what to say. At first I thought about how to perhaps twist the message of God around something else, so as to make it not so obvious and outright. I thought and thought, and eventually turned to the Bible for help. This was the verse that opened up before my eyes-

"And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power..."
1 Corinthians 2: 1-4

It was, to quote my friend, something God dropped from heaven.

And so I summoned all the courage I had, said a prayer for guidance, and stepped out. To be honest, I did not have the courage enough to talk about Jesus in front of that crowd. But I shared about a God who is with us in the depths of physical suffering, a God who loves us, and the song that has sustained me through much of my army life:

You are my strength when I am weak
You are the treasure that I seek
You are my all in all

And through the speech and after it, the peace of God was in my heart. All thanks and glory be to Him.

I don't know if my speech had any impact on anyone in the crowd at that point, but weeks later a Christian friend in my company wrote me a letter. This is what he wrote:

"Just wanted to encourage you...you were amazing when you shared about God to Delta and Sierra wings. You honestly were... you made me cry- I know God is so proud of you, and I am too. Always remember that whatever effort you make in the name of the Jesus is NEVER in vain. 250-300 souls heard the gospel that day- that there is an Almighty God who loves them. Wait and see what God does with your gift to Him."

When I read those words, I too almost cried. I am deeply humbled to know how God has used me, despite my own fear and weakness, and even though I was not brave enough to share the full Gospel that day. The words that my friend wrote were like words from God Himself.

I hope that this will encourage you in your own life to take up the job of witnessing for Him. It doesn't have to be to a large crowd, though rejoice if God gives you that opportunity! Anywhere, any time, to anyone. Always remember that it is not you who is witnessing- it is God who is working through You. He will be with you, He will use you. Rest assured in that. God can use YOU to bring His love to others if you are willing to let Him. Take that step of faith.

My friend also wrote these two verses in his letter:

"For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I pleaseand it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11

Rest assured that whatever work God guides you to do, no matter how small or big, will never be in vain. Thanks be to Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home