Living in Narnia

Wednesday, July 16, 2003

O God knows how I often struggle so hard in my spiritual life! It is not easy to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ; so often I find myself struggling with my old nature and desires, my desire to trust God with everything battling with the carnal desire to cling on to the things I once had. But we must never, never stop struggling. Like Winston Churchill who said, "Never give up. Never, never give up. Never, never, never give up." We may struggle for all our lives, but if we are not willing to face the struggle, then we will never go anywhere in Christ. Better to struggle with your fear of heights and slowly inch upwards than to forever remain on the ground.

The Bible itself commands us to struggle. "...but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience hope..." Learning to struggle willingly teaches us patience, and teaches us to continue seeking the Lord even though it may be difficult. And more importantly, "And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5. The Christian life may be difficult; but it is also easy, and ultimately victorious, because the more we struggle, the more the love of Christ will fill our hearts and move us onwards. When we have been to the deepest depths of struggle and despair, and found that even there, the love of God is sufficient to keep us going, our faith will surely increase many fold.

"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake:
for when I am weak, then am I strong." 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home